Sep 15, 2020 | By: Dogzies Canine School of Excellence
Not surprisingly, dogs succeed when they are provided with a consistent environment – an environment with the same boundaries, the same rules, and the same expectations. All members of the household, family & friends, trainers, daycares, pet sitters, etc. all need to work together to deliver the same message in an effort to create a well-balanced dog. And, when all facets of a dog’s life align, they will not only succeed, they will thrive.
We often find that our most well-adjusted dogs are those that participate in regular training both at home and with our services (Behaviour/Socialization Class, Day School, and Boarding). We see dogs from all walks of life flourish when they are provided with clear, consistent messaging throughout the day.
The dogs that struggle and have behavioural issues often have a history of participating in a variety of activities that directly contradict Dogzies’ philosophy. They have been allowed to attend places that have no rules, such as dog parks or some daycares, and partake in rough, dominant, and wild play with other dogs, whether at a park, daycare, kennel, or even a friend’s house. When dogs are permitted to engage in an uncontrolled manner, aggressive and unpredictable behaviour is to be expected.
At Dogzies, we pride ourselves on working hard with our clients to create a seamless transition between at home training and our services. We rely on our clients to implement our training at home and we do not accept clients that are unwilling to do so as it is imperative that our pack remains safe and balanced. Our Dogzies staff works tirelessly to ensure that all dogs in our care are well supervised and that strict boundaries are constantly upheld. While there are always inherent risks associated with canine activities, we have gone above and beyond to safeguard our client’s beloved pets. It is these diligent measures that have warranted our enviable track record. Rest assured, your dog’s safety and well being is always of the utmost importance.
Dogzies provides a variety of services to ensure that you are successful in your training.
* Behavioural/Socialization Class: Our Behavioural/Socialization Classes are a fantastic way to transition from our Day School & Boarding Services as they provide the client with the tools necessary to continue training at home successfully. These classes introduce important training techniques and provide the client with the opportunity to observe how to implement Dogzies training at home.
* Day School: Our Day School program is a critical service as it allows dogs to learn how to socialize with other dogs in a controlled environment. The dogs learn how to function as a member of the pack and behave in a calm and controlled manner.
* Boarding: Our Boarding program offers an immersive curriculum that engages your dog from morning to night. It is an extension of our Day School program and solidifies the foundational work introduced at our Behavioural/Socialization Classes.
* Private Training: Our Private Training sessions are an ideal way to progress your dog’s training as it provides a one on one, highly controlled, situation.
At home, we encourage our clients to continue with the same structure and boundaries that we provide with our services.
* Praise calm behaviour.
* Practice controlled socialization.
* Eliminate wild, rough, uncontrolled, and dominant types of “play” or interaction.
* Use the leash and other tools to reduce their independence and provide much needed supervision.
* Keep your dog focused on you and not focused on other dogs.
* Prevent your dog from eating grass or picking up and chewing on sticks.
With a combination of Dogzies Services and the crucial training at home, your dog will prosper and develop into a well balanced family member. Time and time again we have seen, consistency is key!